Our School House System
Brierley House System
Every child from Year 1 through to Year 6 has been put into a house, which they will represent during their time here at Brierley. In order to help with the organisation of the houses, House Captains have been appointed from Year 6. The house names were chosen as they are all names of famous Cheshire landmarks: Delamere, Jodrell, Anderton and Tatton.
The four houses compete over the school year in various sporting and academic activities, with the house earning the most Dojos being crowned as winners for each term. Dojos are also awarded for positive behaviour, excellent attendance and class work.
About the House system:
The idea of introducing a House system stemmed from wanting to address some objectives to improve our whole school:
- To offer ALL children the chance to take part in extra-curricular activity (some are unable to stay after school).
- To bring a sense of pride in belonging to a house and to enjoy the friendly competition between houses.
- To provide more opportunity for pupils to experience both winning and losing (life skills!).
- To be used as a positive behaviour tool – individuals can collect Dojos from teachers.
- To reward excellent attendance with house points.
- To offer more leadership and organisational opportunities to Year 5/6 pupils.
The house names were selected in order to offer class teachers the opportunity to produce work based on the houses. The cross-curricular links could include: History, Geography, Art, Design / Technology, English and ICT.
In addition to the appointed house captains, we have assigned each member of staff to a house.
We organise house events for all years from Reception to Y6. For KS2, the house captains (with guidance!) are responsible for selecting and encouraging pupils to participate in the house events.
House Cup points for each event / activity are awarded as follows:
1st = 4 points 2nd = 3 points 3rd = 2 points 4th = 1 point
Mr Foulkes collates and keeps the scores updated throughout the school year. The children love our house system and the opportunities that it provides.
Want to know more? Every month our school newsletter is updated with reports from house competitions.