Year 4 /5 2022 - 2023
Welcome to Year 4/5
Our year group author is Neil Gaiman and we are enjoying reading many of his books.
Meet the Team
Mr Taziker (Class Teacher)
Mr Draper(Class Teacher)
Miss Eglin (Class Teacher)
Miss Proudman (TA)
Mr Coombs (TA)
Miss Copeland (TA)
We’ve had a great start to the year already and we’re really impressed with how the children have settled in.
We have lots of exciting things planned this year to motivate and engage the children including visiting Crewe Library each term to help encourage the children read for pleasure and a Greek day linking to their history work. The children will experience what life was like in Athens and Sparta and compare it to modern Greece. There will also be a mini Greek Olympics as well as a range of traditional Greek food to sample throughout the day.
During this academic year, Year 4 pupils are required to take a statutory times table test to check whether each child can recall their times tables fluently. This test will be online and consists of 25 questions. Questions are not ordered according to difficulty and will all follow the same format. The children will have 6 seconds to enter a response to the question. The 6 seconds start as soon as the question appears. Once the question is answered, there will be a 3 second pause before the next question appears. Questions will be selected from all their times tables, up to 12 x 12. We will be practising our times tables every day within school, however extra practise at home will help your child greatly.
For more information about what we will be covering this year, please click on the file below to view our long term plan overview.
There are multiple websites that your child could use at home and will be using within class:
- https://ttrockstars.com (your child’s log in is inside their reading records).
- https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/477/Multiplication-Tables-Check (A similar format to the test, giving your child 6 seconds per question and the 3 second interval between questions.
- Hit the Button - Quick fire maths practise for 6-11 year olds (topmarks.co.uk)
- In addition to practising online, checking your child’s recall of times tables in other ways will also help them, such as through games, chants or using visual resources.
Homework will be handed out on a Thursday in their homework folders. This is to be returned the following Thursday unless stated otherwise.
As well as homework, children are expected to read every night and have their reading diary signed. Teachers will be checking diaries each week so it is still important that these are signed.
Reading in Year 4/5
Your child will bring home a reading book and diary. We ask that our parents and carers find at least ten minutes each night to read with their child. When your child reads at home, please sign their diary and ask them questions about what they have read to ensure a good understanding of the book.
General reminders for parents
- Please make sure your child is wearing the correct, labelled uniform. This includes appropriate footwear. Please tie long hair back. Children are allowed to wear simple gold/silver stud earrings but they must be able to take them out for PE or have them removed before they come to school.
- The children will be doing PE on Thursday and Friday. Please ensure your child comes into school in appropriate PE kit.
Year 4 /5: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 4 /5: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4 /5: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 4 /5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display